socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

In e-discovery, can the OP ask for my whole laptop? as an independent

In e-discovery, can the OP ask for my whole laptop? as an independent contractor I performed business using my own machine. What's the scope of what they can request? My concern is that I use it for personal stuff too like photos and personal documents.

On the same token, can they request access to my personal email? and would it be just based on keywords or do I have to give access to all of it?
In e-discovery, can the OP ask for my whole laptop?

A: OP can request the opportunity to inspect your laptop -- but they can't simply take it and start dissecting it at their leisure. You can move for a protective order, under CCP 2031.060, and explain why inspection of your entire laptop is overreaching, or otherwise unduly burdensome or invasive, embarrassing, etc.

as an independent contractor I performed business using my own machine. What's the scope of what they can request?

A: They can request the moon. The judge is likely to award a small meteorite.

My concern is that I use it for personal stuff too like photos and personal documents.

A: You can avoid it, if your explanation makes sense and you offer an alternative that will satisfy the reasonable needs of the other party.

A: They can request, but again, you can ask for a protective order and limit discovery.

Hope this helps.