How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

as a follow up to the last question if she had the order tranferred

This answer was rated:

as a follow up to the last question if she had the order tranferred over to texas and had it where I had to pay.. would this process cost her any money to get it done? like whould she have to hire a lawyer to get this action done? I am just trying to figure out the likely hood of her doing this... etc.
also I dont think this amount I was ordered to pay her for wrongful "termination" and "unpaid wages" is an actual judicial order Because I translated the spanish to english at the end of the letter and it said this "
"We urge you to seize this opportunity to resolve the matter so via, without having to expose themselves to legal proceedings"
so I think its basically a letter from a guy in the work commission that "ruled" on it etc..

Yes, it would cost her money (at least filing fees) to transfer the order to Texas and get it enforced. She wouldn't necessarily have to hire an attorney, but if she doesn't live in Texas, she would likely need an attorney to assist her in doing so.

I would say that unless she resides in Texas (or moves there) it would be very unlikely that she would get the order transferred.

That definitely does seem like a non-judicial order, which would have no binding effect at all and could not be transferred to Texas. It is probably an administrative order then, and she would actually need to file suit against you in order to have an actual court ordered judgment against you.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks again and best of luck!

Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks.. Yeah from the sound of the letter it seems like if I do not "resolve it" which I am assuming means pay it.. or negotiate it or something? that it will go to the judicial sector and a court will rule on it.. what do you think? if that happens should I just ignore it and go on about my business?

Hello Jeff,

As an attorney, I cannot recommend that you ignore a judgment, but it definitely has no potential of being enforced at this point. If it were to go to the judicial sector it could be enforced against you (only) in Puerto Rico, but would need to be domesticated/transferred to Texas to have any effect on you.

So, unless you plan on returning to Puerto Rico, you really have nothing to worry about at this point.

Happy to help; best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Very cool, I guess the word "judicial" is scary. Can the new business owner be liable or can the work commission shut down the business or do any thing like that? Or is it contacted to my name versus the business?