How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39027
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have worked with a public agency for 5 years - 40 hrs a week,

Customer Question

I have worked with a public agency for 5 years - 40 hrs a week, salary. Due to the agency being in severe fiscal distress, I am being cut 20% pay, changed to hourly and having my title changed. Also losing some benfits and paying for more. the boss is not taking any cutsw and actually increasing his benfits. We only have 6 full time employees.

I have not had an evaluation for the five years I have been there, part of my salary is paid from a grant I manage.

I have offer letter I orginally got 5 years ago but no official contract.

Anything I can do???
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

Your question shows "Ecuador" as the country, but "California" as the State.

Can you please clarify where you are employed?

Thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

California USA

Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the clarification.

Your only recourse is to file a grievance with the agency, on grounds that you are being denied equal protection, because the pay and benefit cut is clearly arbitrary and capricious, given that your supervisor is simultaneously increasing his/her own benefits at the same time yours are being cut.

Hope this helps.