How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12801
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was working on a Ranch in Central California after I moved

This answer was rated:

I was working on a Ranch in Central California after I moved from Georgia looking for employment opportunities. I was working as an Associate Veterinarian and Technician for the Ranch and roughly 3 weeks ago I was fired. About two weeks ago I became very sick and was unable to look for work or leave the bed as I was so sick. After visiting a doctor a week later I was told that my symptoms were consistent with Valley Fever. This is an illness that I would not normally have gotten had I not been working at the Ranch. One other employee also had a case of Valley Fever and was out of work for over a month. My question is since I would not have normally been exposed to such conditions unless working at the Ranch and contracting it while working there would I be entitled to any workers compensation even though I was fired just before getting ill? I was not able to look for work either on the computer or in person. Please let me know if this is anything that I can work with or if you need additional information. Thank you.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am very sorry to hear that you were let go about about your illness.

The answer to your question is absolutely "yes." For the purpose of worker's compensation claims, the relevant inquiry is whether the illness or injury was incurred while working. It is irrelevant whether or not the symptoms manifest while you are still employed.

You will still need to actually prove that your Valley Fever was contracted on the job, but since the illness is particular to the ranch conditions you were working in, that should not be too difficult for you to establish.

An individual in your circumstance will want to file a workers compensation claim form as soon as possible. See here for more information and the form:

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What would be the next steps that I would need to take? Does your office accept cases after reading/reviewing them? I looked at the information form in the hyperlink above and there is one basic form that looks like I would fill out, submit to the former employer and then see if they accept it? In reality this employer and HR manager is very difficult to get along with and would not likely accept the form so I am sure that I would need additional help to file a claim like this. Please let me know if your offices would be able to accept my case or if I would need to contact another firm to obtain this. Thank you.


Thank you very much for your reply.

Your former employer has a legal oblgiation to cooperate with the workers compensation claims process and must provide you with a completed copy of the form (they have to fill part of it out themselves) and forward another copy to their workers compensation insurance carrier for review.

Unfortunately, here on Just Answer the terms of service prohibit us from representing customers from the site and from making referrals to specific attorneys off the site.

To locate a workers compensation atotrney who may assist you, a good source is Avvo enables you to search via practice area (you'll want to search for a "plaintiff's workers compensation attorney") and location. Avvo also provides useful attorney ratings based on experience and industry recognition. Your attorney can assist you through the claims process.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns.

Kindest regards XXXXX XXXXX wishes to you moving forward.
Patrick, Esq. and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you