How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 1281
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible for you to go over a severance agreement with

Customer Question

Is it possible for you to go over a severance agreement with me for a lesser fee? It includes statements on my former employer not wanting me to sue and also not being liable for not "promoting" me? Does that mean they can defame me or give bad recommendations about me?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help. If you attach your severance agreement, I would be happy to look it over for you, although I cannot 'advise' you on it as that would constitute legal representation not legal information.


I'm not sure what you mean by a 'lesser fee.' Are you able and willing to pay the price of the question for my services?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure what your rate is but have already paid for an answer as advertised in the ad online so would appreciate more than not getting any help unless I pay more. I am out of work and wanted legal interpretation for a few minutes of this agreement. It wouldn't take long to go over a couple of things I don't understand the meaning of logistically. So as of now, that's all I need for my $53.oo already spent.

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello Aletha,

There is no 'rate.' I just wanted to make sure you would rate an acceptable answer.

Please attach your severance agreement and I'll be happy to go over it with you. I can only 'go over' the agreement with you online here. JustAnswer experts cannot contact customers outside of the terms of the site.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I wanted some feedback on the form I received as to it's implications from a Labor lawyer --who you are supposed to have gotten me in contact with and would appreciate more than the solicitation for more money and no information at all which is what I got. I hope you will respond or I will have to ask for a refund--$53.00 ought to get me a few minutes of interpretation with someone who is a labor lawyer instead of what I got --which is a request for more money.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Hello Aletha, I did not request any more money from you, and I am a licensed California employment lawyer. Again, I would be happy to answer any questions that you have regarding your severance agreement if you attach it.


I have not provided any services to you yet, and you are not obligated to pay until I do, at which point I would appreciate you rating me positively.


Thanks again!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you saying that if I send/fax my severance that you can give some interpretation of the inferences on it without charging me more because I am not able to pay more right now.

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you can attach it here. You don't have to pay anything extra. Just make sure you rate my answer positively afterwards so I get credit for my work. (I just get a share of your initial deposit; no additional payment.)

You can attach your severance agreement using the paper clip icon here. I already have your preliminary questions above, but please let me know if you have any others regarding your severance agreement that you attach.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have access to a fax here and the library might be closed today. Is there any other way to get my answer--I can't scan it here. Might be able to go to someone's house but might take time.

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello Aletha,

Unfortunately, the only way I know of getting the document to me is through scanning it as a file and attaching it to a message. You can contact customer service, but I think that is the only way to use.

Don't worry, though, if you cannot get to it today. As soon as you get it uploaded and sent to me, I will be notified, and can respond to you as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went and scanned the document and your program wouldn't accept a PDF format as an attachment, only jpeg I think so will have to figure it out and will call customer service. soon.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
I'm pretty sure I've received PDF files on here before. It may be a size issue. Sometimes the program will only accept a page at a time. Sorry about the frustration.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried to attach the documents again? If you are unable to do so, make sure to contact customer service for a refund.

If you have any other questions I can answer, please contact me by writing 'to Joseph' at the beginning of your question or specifically requesting me in the California Employment Law category.

Thanks and best of luck!
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
If you were to send the documents to customer service via email, they can forward them to me if you still need assistance!

Related California Employment Law Questions