How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39048
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was unable to attend a hearing due to a sick child. The labor

This answer was rated:

I was unable to attend a hearing due to a sick child. The labor board held the hearing without me even after I provided proof of doctors and prescriptions because the employee drove 8 hrs
The employee left San Diego county did not pick up her check or return the business key.
Now, I have an almost $4000. judgement to pay, is there anything I can do?


You have the right to file an appeal with the Superior Court. If you do, then you can have the entire case retried from scratch.

Here is a link to the appeal form (DLSE 537).

You have 10 days from the date that the notice was served on you. If it was served by USPS mail, then you have an additional 5 days to file the appeal. You must also serve a copy of your notice of appeal by mail on the Labor Commissioner.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you