How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have been working for the state of california for 5 1/2 years

This answer was rated:

i have been working for the state of california for 5 1/2 years i am a muslim and have been observing friday prayer all my life and in the past 5 1/2 i also through a religious accommodation appoved by my previous supervisor and been in place under the current supervisor for 6 months. our health care manager is asking me to submit a new request for religious accomation to the hiring authority, because she says religious accommodations can only be done through the hiring authority. i had a previous religious harrassment complaint complaint against the health care manager for changing my schedule not to allow me to leave for prayer. now she is saying if i do not submit a new request. i won't be able to leave for prayer.
note: the accommodation letter i have has no expiry date



I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.


What question do you have regarding your situation?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
does the health case manager have the right to do that?
is that religious harrassment?
should i apply for a new accommodatio?
what if they deny or give me an accommodation that is unreasonable to me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
laywer has benn offline for a while

It appears that the health care manager is taking action against you due to retaliation against you for filing a complaint in the past and due to your religion.


That said, you still need to submit a new request in order to preserve your rights to sue for discrimination on the basis of religion.


If they deny you or give you an unreasonable accommodation, then you can and should file a complaint against your employer for discrimination on the basis of religion in violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act.


You can do so using the information available online here:


The Department of Fair Employment and Housing will investigate the complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a right to sue letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.


I hope the above information is helpful.


Please let me know if you have any additional questions.


If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!


Thanks and best of luck!

Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions