How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I currently am 62 and just started collecting Social Security.

Customer Question

I currently am 62 and just started collecting Social Security. In the past, I was a Bay Bridge toll collector and then later transferred to Caltrans for a total period of approximately 8+ years. Since my recent initiation into the 62+ club, a friend reminded my about my pension that I should be able to collect. Unfortunately, I only have a few remnants of my previous employment such as my Toll Collector Employee ID, about a dozen and a half Pay Check stubs while i wasa toll collecetor and a piece paper labeled PERS (Public Employees' Retirement System Annual Statement June 30, 1975 without any type of Identification besides my name and SSN. Recently I contacted and they told me that there was not record of me in their files. Because of this news I've all but given up in search of the pension that I deserve. Unless, if you could steer my in the correct direction.......?!?!

Thank you for your interest in this matter.....

I really do appreciate it.


Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sure I don't mind waiting, but for how long; do you think?!?!
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. Response times vary due to the question and which professionals are online at any time. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Expert:  Legalease replied 4 years ago.

Hello there


I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but although CA state employers have good pension plans, you must work a minimum of 10. 15 or 20 years on the job before you would be entitled to a pension payout upon retirement (early or otherwise). Contact the pension plan again and ask them the minimum number of years that you had to work in order to be paid a pension on retirement. It will be at least 10 years and most likely it will be 20 years.