How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I'm not quite sure what you are speaking of when you refer to a full tax deduction. Can you please explain what you mean by that?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am not sure , but did you receive my response?

Good afternoon Issa,

No, there was no response posted to this question. I'm really sorry, but that happens sometimes with the system. Could you please re-post it here.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they will take a lot of taxes if it is been paid all a once would n it?

Hi Issa,

Thanks for the clarification.

There is no doubt that severance pay in CA takes taxes from the payment before they give it over to you-----25% to the feds for taxes and self employment tax which must be paid on the amount, and I believe it is still 6% which is withheld for the state of CA.

However, you are not losing anything---this is not a penalty but simply pre-paid taxes. Self employment tax alone is more than 15%---and that is where the big hit is.

The only possible way for you to avoid all of these taxes is if you can convince the employer to simply pay you your salary for a period of time ans do normal withholding from it. However, that is not usually to the employer's benefit and they may not be willing to do that.

It is possible to lower your ultimate tax rate if you can get your employer to spread the payment over more than 1 tax year. However if it is all paid in 2013 then a $50,000 income is still a $50,000 income and the ultimate tax is based upon that income number. It is only the withholding amounts, and not the ultimate tax paid, that varies with the periodic versus the lump sum payments---which is why I suggested asking for periodic payments from your employer as opposed to the single payment to you.

I wish you the best in 2013.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well the 50000 is what they offered over a years time or lumpsum

my concern also is that i want more money for my severance which might include the 50k as initial payment and also get regular salary for the rest of the year on top of that. in that case if they agree will the intial 50k giving right now be considered like a regular ck, since there is more ,

and by the way , while i am get in these cks over a period of time

will i still be considered and employee of that company?

Hi Issa,

The fact that you receive the payments over time does not mean that you are still an employee of the company---no.

If you can talk them into a larger severance package and periodic payments then they can deduct standard withholding. However, that is not to their benefit because they will have to pay half of your FICA for you---so while you can ask, they may not be willing to do this for you.

Again though, your actual tax is not going to change. Whether they pay you $100,000
in a lump sum, or over the next 8 months---it will all be earned income for the year and therefore taxable.

If they take more now---it will simply mean that you get a bigger refund next year---but the income tax you pay will be the same.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

while getting paid over the next 8 month if they agree or if i get one lump sum

will i also be able to collect unemployment now.

Good afternoon Issa,

That is a completely different question. As for a severance package in CA---keep in mind that if the money you get is not stated in a writing as compensation for you giving up any rights you might have to sue the employer--- if it is simply a lump sum of money, or even payments over a period of time to substitute for your lost wages, then unemployment will consider it wages and you will be ineligible for unemployment benefits until the number of weeks has passed which equals the weekly pay you received before termination divided into the amount of severance pay you receive.

However, as many employers provide in severance agreements, if you have to give up the right to sue the employer for some reason in order to get the severance, then you will be eligible for unemployment benefits immediately.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

I wish you the best in 2013,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

employer provided me with separation agreement and general release

can i fax it for you to review it and to help me understand all that it means

and then possibly help me negotiate with employer because i am

thinking to go for 200k to 500k

or should i go see an Attorney in person to handle that?

Good afternoon Issa,

Even if you paid me more money, I am not allowed to act as your attorney by reviewing your agreement, explaining it all to you, and assisting you in re-drafting it. And it would be equally against JustAnswer rules for me to do anything remotely suggestive of representing you---which is exactly what I would be doing bu negotiating with your employer for you. That would make me your lawyer, which I am not. All I can do is answer general questions of law for you. I'm sorry.

You will need to have a local attorney review the document for you and negotiate on your behalf.

Please keep in mind that until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you.

Thanks again.

Have a great day,

LawTalk and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Issa. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.