How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon, Esq. Your Own Question
Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 1953
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Brandon, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 62 year old man with numerous medical issues eurrounding

This answer was rated:

I am a 62 year old man with numerous medical issues eurrounding my heart and back. Can I employee an in house care giver and make it tax deductibele as either employee wages or medical expenses. I would assume that i would do all employee filings correctly.

Employment-LawExpert :

Hello and thank you for your question.

Employment-LawExpert :

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


You can absolutely claim a tax deduction for care-giving costs as caregiving expenses can be deductible as medical expenses. However, in order to qualify you need two things. One, you need to be considered chronically ill. Depending on the severity of the issues you have, this is relatively easy to meet. The second, is that you need a licensed health care practitioner to prescribe you a plan of care. The second part is harder, depending on your relationship with your doctor. You cannot just employee an in house caregiver with the argument that it is necessary. You will need this plan of care.

The best option will actually be to pay their wages out of a pretax health savings account or to get long-term care insurance as the premiums are also tax deductible. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Brandon, Esq. and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you