How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was working as a W2 employee with a firm with a client. Due

This answer was rated:

I was working as a W2 employee with a firm with a client. Due to some personal reasons I need to resign from the firm. I emailed my employer my intent to resign and my last day as last day of last month and also my project at the client was ending the same day as long as we did not renew it. I never received any reply for the email I sent.I called them couple of times and did not receive any reply other than they will forward me some paper works which is seperation agreement. I forwarded the original email and asked them to confirm the resignation date and they did not reply. I have not received any emails regarding the separation agreement either. Have I done everything on my end or do I need to do anything more. It's been 1 week since I went to job and I have not received any email. Is there anything I need to do?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situaiton and hope I can help.

No, there is nothing more that you need to do on your end. You emailed your employer an intent to resign and gave your last day that you would be working.

That is all you have to do, since as an at-will employee, you can termiante your employment at any time for any reason with or without any prior notice to your employer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. Applogies it looks like I tagged this question in California Employment Law. Actually my employer is in GA and I worked for a client in IL. I got a new job offer and it looks like the new employer is using the same payroll site as my old employer is and my new employer has sent me a link to register with the payroll site. My previous employer pays me 1 month back, which means I have not yet received my last months pay from them yet and technically once they pay me biweekly, so I still have to receive couple of pays from them. Is it allowed to register with a new employer and are there any complications with the same.
Hello Dheeraj,

My answer is applicable to Illinois law as well, which covers your situation.

Yes, you are free to register with the payroll site and it would not create any comlications.

However, your employer should pay you your wages due at the time of termination, and it should not be taking a month for your employer to pay you the wages that you are owed, since you are legally entitled to be paid biweekly as an employee.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

Thanks and best of luck!