Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

We are small staffing Agency. Our client does not pay for our

Customer Question

We are small staffing Agency. Our client does not pay for our employees lunch break, which is usually 30 minutes a day. Are we liable to pay these meal breaks? Our employees work 8 hours, and have 30 minute lunch break, they spend total on 8.5 hours at client location. Our employment contract says that we pay our employees on hourly basis for all billable hours, and lunch break is not billable.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Under California law, employees are not required to be paid for their 30 minute lunch breaks. (As long as they receive a full 30 minutes for lunch) The employer is only responsible for paying for two 10 minute breaks during the employee's 8 hour shift, but the meal period is unpaid, so neither you or the client is liable to pay for the lunch period.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello Dinesh,

Please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

Thanks and best of luck!