California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

i wrote a letter of resignation on 1/28/13. This morning 2/1/13

I was called in to...
i wrote a letter of resignation on 1/28/13. This morning 2/1/13 I was called in to be told that it was my last day. I gave the letter to the director. He took it and asked me to change the wording to Effective Immiediately. I want to know why he would want that changed>
I didnt give my letter before until this morning when I was called in a private room with the director.
2/2/2013
Fran-mod
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
What did your intiial letter of resignation state? Did you give a period of notice prior to your date of resignation?

the letter just stated that i was tendering my letter of resignation with 2 weeks notice & thanking them for the opportunity to work there.

the letter was dated 1 week prior with 2 weeks notice. Also willing to help in what ever way.

Your employer is requesting that you change the letter to state that you are tendering your resignation effective immediately in order to avoid any liability for having to pay you two weeks of unemployment benefits by terminating you immediately after you tendered your resignation effective in two weeks.

By having a letter stating from you that you resign 'effective immediately' you would not be due any unemployment benefits.

You don't have to do this, of course, and you would be able to collect at least one or two weeks of unemployment benefits if you were terminated prior to the effective date of your resignation.
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer

I don't really care about the unemployment benefits, I just want to make sure that in my future applications what do I put as to the departure from my previous employment?

It would be February 1, 2013. Since that was your last day, since your employer effectively teminated you on that date.

You can still put that you resigned from employment, rather than being terminated.
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer

If he still wants a revised letter, can I change the date from January 28, 2013 to February 1, 2013? What if he doesn't want to accept the revised letter because it was not changed to "effective immediately?"

Yes, you can stil change the date from January, 28th to February 1st, or 'effective immediately' and just date the letter February 1st.

It really doesn't matter if he accepts the letter or not. That was the last date you worked and you resigned, and weren't terminated by your employer.
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer