How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

two new scenarios. 1) my girlfriend and I, of 17 years just

This answer was rated:

two new scenarios.

1) my girlfriend and I, of 17 years just filed a domestic partnership. she's moving to a new city with me. We understand she can request unemployment since the rules are similar with spouses. We will be moving 500 miles away and starting new. Is this correct, is she able to file for unemployment.

2) not only are we moving to a new city, the intent is to eventually have my mother move in (within 3-5 months) to start caring for her. she lives alone in a different city but she will need more care. basically, she needs rides to bi-weekly blood tests and quarterly appts. she suffered a stroke 7 years ago and she does not drive. Is this situation likely approved for unemployment benefits? If so, what info would I need to provide if it was denied?

thx for your help
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

Yes, under CA law, a domestic partner is granted the same rights as a spouse in terms of qualifying for unemployment in the event that the other partner is forced to relocate for employment. Here is a link to a number of other rights that your partnership confers:

Of the two possibilities, the relocation with your domestic partner for employment reasons is the more likely ground for benefits.

Having to relocate to care for an ill relative may, under the right circumstances, qualify as justification for leaving employment. However, keep in mind that you must be willing to seek full time employment while you are collecting unemployment---so you could not collect unemployment when you can not work because you are caring for an ill family member. Here is a link to the CA law in this regard:


You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time in assisting you.
Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and contact me with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,


LawTalk and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you