How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive had a telephone number for eight, plus years. I opened

This answer was rated:

I've had a telephone number for eight, plus years. I opened the account and paid for it myself for the first two years. My employer put that number on the business plan and eventually the business was sold to a new owner. That new owner, after two years has terminated my employment and wants to cancel my phone number. Can the law help me keep it?
Are you able and willing to pay to keep the phone number? Does the business now own the phone number?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I am willing. Yes, as far as I know they own the number since it is on their account. That wasn't the case originally, FWIW.
Hello Jeff,

Do you know what phone company the number is XXXXX with. You should be able to call them directly and request that the phone number be transfered to your name after it is terminated on the account, since you were the original owner of the phone number.

If you don't know who the account is listed with, you should ask your former employer for that information and request that they transfer the number to you.

Unfortunately, there is nothing specific in the law that covers this topic, so your employer, as the current owner of the phone number, would be within its rights to refuse your request if they want to keep the phone number as a current business number.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions