How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son was fired from a physical therapy aide position several

This answer was rated:

my son was fired from a physical therapy aide position several weeks ago. We just thought he was on vacation as he had been there fourteen years and had a perfect attendance record. His supervisor gave him some sort of list for his firing and he was so shocked he just left. He never leaves his room now and we don't know how to help him. He is 47 and we are living on Social Security. How does he fill out an unemployment application etc. Fourteen years of his life lost for the future.

Good morning Diane,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your son's situation.

Applying for unemployment benefits in CA is quite easy. All he has to do is fill out a relatively simply form for EDD. Here is a link to the EDD website where he can apply. There are a number of very simple, straight-forward questions that he will have to answer, and that is it.

If he was terminated because he did something wrong, then he will not qualify for unemployment benefits. And he will have to tell EDD in the application why it was he was let go.

However, if he was terminated through no fault of his own---in other words if he did not violate employer policies or act in defiance of the directions of the employer---then he will qualify.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time in assisting you. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and contact me with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,


LawTalk and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you