How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is at work and has just called to say that her Boss,

Customer Question

My wife is at work and has just called to say that her Boss, a dentist, is verbally confronting her and acting angry and making crazy demands. How should she deal with it?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your wife's situation.

From a legal standpoint, there really is nothing that she can do. She must either take the abuse, or consider looking for new employment. Only if she were being harassed or discriminated against based on her Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Gender or Disability would she have a legal remedy.

This is because
the US Supreme Court has held that harassment and hostile environment laws were not meant to create a code of civility within the workplace. The phrase “Hostile work environment" is legal terminology, and relates to discrimination which is federally prohibited—race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age or disability. Absent proof that the hostility she is complaining of relates to one of the prohibited acts of discrimination, then I’m afraid that she have little solid ground to stand on with regard to legal redress.

I wish you and your family the best in 2013

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided.
Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your wife's particular situation.

Thank you,