How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39031
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

So if I go the labor board way the fines could drown the guy

Customer Question

So if I go the labor board way the fines could drown the guy what about small claims court. The maximum you can file for in Calif. is $10,000. I know this is less than what he owes me but if he closes down like you said I get nothing.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
If you go to small claims, you will have to prove that you were an employee, and you would have to do it in about 5 minutes. I view small claims court, where a case is complicated, is risky, because the judge may not have the patience to really figure out what's going on, and consequently the result may be completely wrong.

Also, small claims actions cannot be appealed by a plaintiff -- so, if you lose, you're done.

Whereas, if you get a lawyer to take the case on contingency, even though it may eat into your settlement, you're more likely to get your money, because the lawyer will be interested in making certain that he/she collects.

So, while it's just my opinion, I would order the options as: employment lawyer on contingency; Labor Board complaint; small claims court.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!