How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39147
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,My name isXXXXX About 3 mos ago I was

This answer was rated:

Hello, My name isXXXXX 3 mos ago I was hired as a independent contractor for a company called PXXXXXX XXXX TXXXXXXXX and my responsibility was to drive patients to the doctor, wait, and then drive the patient back home using my own car. I did this and accumulated 87 rides. According to the ad and the agreement I was to receive 30% of the fee charged in 30 to 45 days and the other monies as the insurance paid the company. To this date I have only received one payment of 1200. I stopped working for this company on Oct. 19th and went to work for another transport company. The owner keeps saying that he is waiting for the insurance companies to pay him and he can't pay me until this happens. He also said that I breached his contract because I went to work for another transport company but I quit his company and then I went to work for another company. So my questions are how do I get my $52,000 and can he deny me money like that and was I really an independent contractor if he trying to make me only work for him?


There is practically no possibility that you were an independent contractor, based on your alleged facts. The reason why is that in order to have worked independently to transport persons for compensation, you would have had to have been licensed as a taxi or limo driver, under either local ordinance or by the State Public Utilities Commission.

The California Employment Development Department (EDD) treats taxi drivers as employees of their dispatch company (see this link).

You may have a very substantial wage claim against the employer. So large, in fact, that the employer may be thrown into bankruptcy. You can file a wage claim with the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE). However, you may want to consider hiring a private lawyer, first, because, frankly, if DLSE loads up the employer with fines, and the employer files for bankruptcy, then you could find yourself getting nothing at all for your efforts. So, you may have to settle for something less than what you could have received, or to a payment plan by the employer, so that you can get as much as possible.

If you would like to consult with local employment rights counsel before deciding to file a wage claim, then for a referral, see this link.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you