How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work for a nursing home and at my place of employment the

This answer was rated:

I work for a nursing home and at my place of employment the are forcing us to work off the clock to finish our work. They are not telling us to but they are making it so that we have to. They are making us call our supervision to get an okay for overtime to finish our work but are only giving us up to 30 minutes to finish. We all have at least 30 residents to take care of and it is virtually impossible to finish everything in the amount o time. We have to finish our work to protect our license, so to finish we have to do it on our own time. We already never have time to take our 15 minute breaks so they are getting 30 minutes of free time for every nurse, every shift. Is there any thing we can do about this?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Your employer is commiting violations of the California Labor Code by requriing you to work through your rest breaks (although you are only entitled to 10 minutes not 15) and by requring you to work overtime without compensation.

I suggest that you file a wage claim against your employer for these violations so you can receive compensation for the 'off the clock' work you are being required to do in order to complete your job.

You are protected from any retaliation, up to and including termination, for filing a wage claim, so you would have an additional cause of action for wrongful termination in violation of public policy.

You can file a wage claim using the forms available online here:
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you