How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was part of a force reduction at my company and on my last

This answer was rated:

I was part of a force reduction at my company and on my last day, they gave me my "final check" (a manual check) which was to include benefits. About one weeks later after I received my check stub in the mail, I noticed all my benefits were not paid by virtue of a "balance" showing on my check stub. I called the company to inquire and they said I was paid everything, but I said my stub shows differently. It appears they will not pay my "balance." 1. Given my scenario, how long before I may be entitled to three times the amount? I've been told something like 30 days by others, but I don't know if that is from termination date, my notifying the company, or some other means. 2. What happens if my check stub is wrong and the company just made that mistake. Because I was terminated and given a "final" check, am I entitled to the error amount? Thanks

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

If your employer intentionally underpaid you, then you are entitled to the amount of wages owed to you, and one day's wages per day you were required to wait. (There is no statute that would award you 'three times' the amount).

It is 30 days from the date that you were due the wages, which would be the date of your termination.

If the company made a 'good faith' mistake about your wages, then you would only be entitled to the amount that you were unerpaid, and not the wages and wage penalties.

If the amount that was issued to you was in error (too much) then you would only be entitled to the amount that you were actually owed and not the error amount.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you