How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EmplmntLaw1 Your Own Question
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5685
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
EmplmntLaw1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not an employment lawyer but I am trying to help a friend.

This answer was rated:

I am not an employment lawyer but I am trying to help a friend. He is suing for his employer's failure to pay overtime etc, but the employer unbelievably contends he has no employment records, that the employee stole the records when he was discharged a few months ago. How do we go about proving his case, and is there a govt facility in Los Angeles to report to regarding this type of misbehavior.
Under federal and state wage and hour laws employers are supposed to keep wage records for years. When the employer has no records it is generally accepted then that the employee may produce evidence to his/her best ability to prove the hours worked. As to the allegation that your friend stole the records - unless the employer has some proof that your friend stole the records I don't see that really going anywhere; you're friend should respond "no I didn't, on what evidence are you basing your allegation". Lastly, the Cal Labor Dept provides wage claim adjudication. See
Although your friend appears to have already filed a lawsuit, he/she should inquire anyway to determine if he/she can also use the administrative process.

If you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to build my expert ranking. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.
EmplmntLaw1 and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you