How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been working at a company for 19 years in California.

This answer was rated:

I have been working at a company for 19 years in California. I am older and I am now getting written up for things. I find that the work load is too much and have asked for help. They gave me help for awhile and had me sign off that they did, but eventually stopped and the work load is too much for me. How can I quit and still collect unemployment?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, it would be difficult for you to quit and be able to collect unemployment.

In order to justify a voluntary quit you need to have left your employment for a reason that would make a reasonable person in the same circumstances also leave his or her job.

For instance, if you can point to the fact that you are being targeted and discriminated against on the basis of your age that would be typically be a sufficient 'good cause' for you to leave your employment.

However, if you just don't like the fact that you're being written up for things that would not be enough for you to collect unemployment benefits.


Additionally, you would need to demonstrate that you attempted to resolve the issue with your employer prior to leaving your employment. For instance, it would be good if you voiced your concerns with your employer about being written up, especially if you believe that it has to do with your age.

You can read more about establishing 'good cause' for a voluntary quit online here:

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.

Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, I re read this morning and think I understand what I should do.


Related California Employment Law Questions