How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 38911
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was working for XXXX XX, A XXXXX. Based Corporation,

This answer was rated:

My son was working for XXXX XXXX XX. , A XXXXX. Based Corporation, For 8 years. My son, XXXXX XXXXXX, worked with an injuried right /leg, ankle to knee. For the pain he was prescribed by a medical doctor a drug called Vikaden, so it was a legal substance. This past week he was chosen by computor to take a Pee, test. The results, Vikaden in his blood. Immediately he was terminated. XXXXXwas an Arizona Commercial Truck driver with the proper liesen to drive. The Department of Transportation records shows he was registered with them with a prescribed drug , Vicaden for pain in his right leg. We believe Tracy was wrongfully discharged. The Company would not give him a written reason for termination. XXXXX had a very good record with this Co. Contact Phone Number XXX-XXX-XXXX Safford, Arizona XXXXX. My Ph. number XXX-XXX-XXXX Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXXXX


I assume that your son resides in Arizona, and Arizona state taxes are withheld from his wages (i.e., he is employed "in" Arizona, rather than California). If true, then your son's ability to sue for wrongful discharge is controlled by A.R.S. 23-1501. The State lists the only permissible grounds under which an employee may bring an action for wrongful discharge. Unfortunately, none of these grounds includes the failure of a drug screen, even if the drug is legal and known about by the employer in advance.

The exception to the above-stated general rule, is that if the employee handbook or other policy guide expressly provides that an employee cannot be terminated for failing a drug screen where the employee is using a lawfully-prescribed medication. Absent this exception, your son can be terminated and his only recourse is to file for unemployment insurance benefits.

I realize that this may seem incomprehensible and manifestly unjust. I agree, it is unfair and unjust. Regrettably, and while the vast majority of employees in the USA are unaware of it, this has been the law in nearly every state jurisdiction, since approximately the year 1871. In all of that time, only the Montana legislature has seen fit to modify this absurd and abusive employment policy -- which is known among employment law practitioners as the "at will employment doctrine."

Please understand that I have no interest in providing you with anything less than a completely satisfying answer. However, if the law does not favor your unique circumstances, then the best that I can do is to explain what the law "is" and what it "is not."

Let me know if I can clarify or assist you further.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you