How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a contract and was employed as a independant contracter

This answer was rated:

I have a contract and was employed as a 'independant contracter' to basically rent out a performing arts center. I have signed contracts with deposits for future months as well as stable renters ( like a middle school using our classrooms.) However my boss gave me 30 notice yesterday- stating they are not making enough to keep paying me my 20% commission.
He is giving me 30 days pay. but I said he has to pay me the commissions that are still coming - for november for instance. He will have a conference, recitals ect - bringing in $16,000 for the month - all of which was my deals. He thinks he doesnt owe me any of that ??
What are my rights ?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Your employer does owe you for the commissions that you've earned through your deals, and is required to pay you for those commissions when the employer receives the money for those deals.

If your employer does not pay you for those commissions once they're received, you can file a wage claim against your employer for the unpaid commissions.

You can do so using the forms available online here:
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you