How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked for 5 plus years at a high school in California.

Customer Question

I worked for 5 plus years at a high school in California. I fractured my heel and was off for 7 weeks and my doctor said I could go back with accomodations. My workplace never offered any accomodations nor even checked with me to see if was able to do the job while on crutches. They had me going through 3 different doors just to get to the bathroom. My supervisor would not speak to me nor help me with any of my questions. He was very hostile towards me and so I quickly resigned and took early retirement leaving me with a less than amount to live off of. I moved to New Jersey and did find part time work but 1/4 of what my wages where. I left because I could not get anyone to work with me and my supervisor was rude and yelled at me anytime I try to approach that I needed help. I was the registrar of a school of over 2,000 students and being on crutches hindered my ability to do my job. They assured me I would get support but never followed through. Is there any thing I can do about this. I felt I was in a very hostile work environment. Plus my supervisor was sleeping with his secretary so all his attention was given to her.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

When was it that you resigned from your position in California?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

November 2012. I was suppose to stay until November 30th but the work environment was so hostile that I left on the 15th as I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown from working there and all the hostility I felt. I went to principal and said I was done the end of the day.

Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean November 2011?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I'm sorry, November 2011

Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
I suggest that you file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing for disability discrimination in violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act.

Since you were never provided with a reasonable accomodation to assist you in performing the essential functions of your job, and you requested support, were told you'd receive it, and never did, you have a good basis for a claim.

You can file a claim with the DFEH using the instructions available online here:

The DFEH will investigate your complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a 'right to sue' letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.