How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 45 years old. In 2004 he stopped working as a successful

This answer was rated:

My son is 45 years old. In 2004 he stopped working as a successful athletic coach in order to care for his father, who was diagnosed with Lymphoma and undergoing chemotherapy for that disease. The treatments and surgeries continued for several years during which our son continued looking after my husband at home, driving him back and forth to the hospital then and afterward when the chemotherapy led to congestive heart failure, and taking over almost all of our house maintenance tasks, large and small

In March of 2012, my husband died. By then my own health problems had worsened – Lupus, cataracts, severe osteoarthritis and the surgeries the latter these diseases made necessary. My son now continues to care for me and our home just as he had done for his father. He has refused to accept financial recompense beyond room and board.

Although he will inherit our house and a large amount of cash whenever I die, I also want him to be eligible for Social Security and Medicare in 20 years. What do he and I need to do now so that he can make the Social Security payments that will insure his eligibility when he reaches 65 years of age?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

In order to ensure that your son will receive sufficient earnings from social security, you would need to compensate him as an employee, and make appropriate deductions from his wages for social security purposes.

Your son will need to fill out a W4 form, which you can then file with the IRS, however, it would be necessary for him to receive payment beyond room and board in order for his earnings to go toward social security.

Your son will automatically be eligible for medicare when he reaches 65, since medicare is only based on the age of an applicant and not the earnings or payments that he or she has made into medicare through his or her wages.

Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



Thank you for answering my question several hours ago. Now I have a follow-up question:


Is the W4 form available online? If so, will you please tell me the website address? If the form is not on an IRS website, where must we go to get a copy? We live in the PaloAlto to San Jose part of the San Francisco Bay Area area.



Yes, you can find the form online here: