How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39018
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I suffer with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. I work as a

This answer was rated:

I suffer with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. I work as a dental hygienist. I've been let go from two offices in the past two years. I have time management troubles and because I have run behind schedule I was let go. One Dr. did give me a written warning and I desperately insisted I was trying but was having trouble due to my ADD. He offered to change my schedule but a few weeks later he abruptly and with great hostility accused me of trying to upset him and he let me go. My work has never been questioned as I am very good at my profession. The other Dr. gave no written warning and shocked me with an end of the day final check. He said I was not a good fit for the practice. I was with the first dentist for over 5 years and the second for over one year! I am so overwhelmed and depressed about the lack of consideration for my ADD and the loss of my profession. I take meds and pay out of pocket for expensive therapy for my ADD. Do I have any legal recourse for their actions against me
If you notified either employer about your disability and you requested reasonable accommodations, then (assuming you can prove that notice was provided), you may have a disability claim against each employer under the California Fair Employment and Housing Act.

The issues are (1) whether or not you could have performed your job successfully with a reasonable accommodationl; (2) the employer had notice of the disability; and (3) the employer failed to reasonably accommodate you, despite the employer not suffering an undue hardship by providing a reasonable accommodation. Also, (4) the employer must employ at least 5 persons on a regular basis -- which could impact you, if the dentist is a very small business.

For examples of reasonable accommodations for ADD, see this link.

To file a charege of disability discrimination, see this link.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you