Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I need a lawyer to defend me at an Employment Development Department

I need a lawyer to defend me at an Employment Development Department appeal hearing. How much should I expect that to cost me?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. My goal is to answer your question completely and thoroughly and to provide excellent service.

Attorneys will charge hourly for this sort of work. Depending on the complexity of your hearing, it will likely take anywhere between 3 hours and 8 hours for an attorney to prepare for and conduct the hearing. Most attorneys charge an hourly rate between $200-350.

Keep in mind that, at least to a certain extent, you get what you pay for when it comes to attorneys, so "cheaper" isn't necessarily better. Also, a more experienced attorney will likely be able to identify the relevant issues quicker and be more efficient in his billing, so even if he charges more, the total number of hours worked will probably be fewer. This tends to balance things out a bit.

I reviewed your previous question and see that you already received a recommended source for attorney referrals. In addition to Lawyers.com may I suggest Avvo.com (http://www.avvo.com and Martindale (http://www.martindale.com) I particularly like these sources because allows you to search attorneys by practice area and also provides attorney ratings.

When you contact the attorneys, ask if they offer free consultations. Most should, and this way you can get at least some feel for the attorney's expertise and enthusiasm for your particular case before you commit.

I wish you the very best at your upcoming hearing and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX you find the information I have provided helpful.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. If you have any additional concerns that you would like me to address, please feel free to let me know by hitting the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.