How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own my own business, self emplyed, accounting service. My

This answer was rated:

I own my own business, self emplyed, accounting service. My wife works special projects for me, 3 hours per week.

She can only earn so much since she is on social security, which she earns on her regular job.

Do I have to pay her or is there another compensation I could give her without it being money and income for her?
No, since she is your wife (and due to community property rules, technically, also an owner of the business) you aren't required to pay your wife and could give her another form of compensation other than money and income.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you