California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

Is it true that according to CA UI Code Section 1300, California…

Customer Question
Is it true that according...
Is it true that according to CA UI Code Section 1300, California now participates in Self-Employment program, and those that chose to start their own company can also receive UI benefits as of Feb 2012?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
7/10/2012
California Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 6 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good morning Lori,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

CA has always allowed people trying to start their own business to continue to collect unemployment benefits while they are doing so. The caveat has always been that the person must continue to search for employment during that period of time, must accept any reasonable offer of employment and must report all income from self employment during each employment period. Those rules have not changed.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation, and I trust you agree that it would be unfair for me to be punished by a (negative rating) ----the first 2 stars/faces----for having been honest with you about the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Doug