How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a retired principal in the California State Teachers retirement

This answer was rated:

As a retired principal in the California State Teachers retirement System how do I change my beneficiary if we never married and were only engaged?
Someone will have to be familiar with the CALSters system regarding beneficiaries.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

You need to fill out the "Recipient Designation" form and return it to CalSTRS at the address here:

P.O. Box 15275, MS 43
Sacramento, CANNN-NN-NNNNbr/>
The form is available here:

This will change your current beneficiary to the one that you list on the form.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Joseph


I am not interested in my one time death benefit beneficiary.

My conern is that regarding my pension.

I was told by CALSTERs that I must either:

Get married and within six months my new bride is my beneficiary

My current ex-fiance would have to expire

After my new marriage if I get divorced, I could then name myself as the new beneficiary


Since you were never married, your ex-fiance is not entitled to any of your pension, and would only be considered a beneficiary had you listed her as a beneficiary, since she would only be entitled to a portion of your pension under community property had you been married while you were earning your pension.

As a fiance, she doesn't have any rights to your pension, and she would be treated the same as any ex-girlfriend that you have.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.


She is listed as my sorry that this is taking so long but she is and I have been told that only three ways to change:

death of my beneficiary

I get married and name a new beneficiary since she was never a spouse or partner

get divorced...can't do that...never married


The information that you received from CalSTERS was based on their incorrect assumption that you were married and that she was an ex-spouse and not an ex-fiance.

Since she was only an ex-fiance she has no legal claim to your benefits outside of being listed as beneficiary currently.

Since she's currently listed as a beneficiary, she would only receive benefits in the event of your death, which you can change by filling out the form that I linked to above and sending it to CalSTERS.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you