LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I retired from a California city about 2 years ago because my secretarys job was cut

I retired from a California city about 2 years ago because my secretary's job was cut to part-time. The city immediately rehired me in the same position but part-time. I have worked almost 2 years under 960 hours yearly. I am also getting my pension. Thanks to AB 1280 I was just let go June 28, 2012. I am only 61 years old and can still work. Can I get unemployment?
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

Yes, of course, you do qualify for unemployment insurance benefits. The fact that you were only employed part time will not prevent you from getting the benefit. The benefit that you receive will be based on your income during the 12 to 15 month period prior to be letting go.

All you need do is apply for the benefit from EDD. You may file your application for unemployment benefits today, and right from your computer, by going to this site:

https://eapply4ui.edd.ca.gov/

You may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation, and I trust you agree that it would be unfair for me to be punished by a (negative rating) ----the first 2 stars/faces----for having been honest with you about the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Doug
Good afternoon,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards XXXXX XXXXX

Is there anything else that I can assist you with? If not, would you please now rate my service to you highly. Thanks in advance!

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Want to rate you for excellent service but my computer is not letting me complete that.

Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for letting me know. This is a known problem with JustAnswer and I doubt your computer. I will notify JustAnswer of your problem.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a great weekend.

Doug