How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I had an S corporation in california for 6 years and

This answer was rated:

Hello, I had an S corporation in california for 6 years and i closed my service business in december 2010, I have had the californina department of labor contact me for a wage claim, I simply do not have any money as i am going thru personal bankruptcy what will happen to me if i am unable to pay this claim or even make a settlement?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

You can request to have the debt for the claim discharged in personal bankruptcy. If you're unable to get the claim discharged and are found liable, your personal assets could be attached to satisfy the judgment, including wage garnishments or liens on any personal property you may have.

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Joseph, Does it matter that the company is closed i have sold all of its assets to pay all of its obligations that i could so it is no longer in business they can still come after me personally?
Yes, you could still be sued personally if you were the sole owner of the corporation, since the wage claim would 'pierce the corporate veil.'