How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an asst. manager at a grocery store. Have been there 34

This answer was rated:

I am an asst. manager at a grocery store. Have been there 34 years. I have decided to step down back to being a checker, as recommended by my doctor because being in management has become too stressful. I am now on salary, but stepping down, I will be back in the union. Can my employer cut me from full time to part time?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, yes, your employer could reduce you from full time to part time, unless to do so would violation your collective bargaining agreement, which you'll be covered by as a union employee.

If you are cut from full time to part time against your wishes, I would suggest that you file a grievance with your union against your employer for the reduction.

If your employer were to reduce your hours due to discrimination based on age in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, or disability in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, you should also file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

You can file a complaint using the instructions available online here:

The EEOC will investigate your complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a right to sue letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you