How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can your employer in California, issue you a parts card (amex)

Customer Question

Can your employer in California, issue you a parts card (amex) and charge the employee a $30 late fee, if the employee doesn't submit the expense within 30 days ?

I did sign a paper agreeing to it, but if it's not legal then that's null and void no?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

An employer can only make deductions from an employee's paycheck due to gross negligence, so, no, an employer could not require that an employee pay a $30 late fee for failing to submit an expense report within 30 days, since that would not constitute gross negligence.

Therefore, despite the agreement, it would not be enforcible under California law.