How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 38905
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the past 15 years I have taken a company to a net worth

Resolved Question:

In the past 15 years I have taken a company to a net worth of 14 million dollars. There is only the owner then myself. In him wanting to take the company in another direction I told him I would take some vacation time to think about my wanting to stay on board. He is now contacting Suppliers spreading rumors and deforming my chracter in the process. When questioned he denied the fact that was substanciated by many suppliers as well as my subordinates. It has only been four days and he is giving me an ultimatum. I have not resigned and if I do all I want is what I am entitled. In my 15 years I have taken very few vacations and only used days to recover from surgeries through the years. I have not received any type of raise in 12 years. Do I have any recourse in protecting my integrity? Is he liable for any wrong doings? Thanks.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
Defamation of character is a different type of civil action from any sort of employment action. If your reputation is being damaged by your employer's statements, then you may be able to obtain damages for the injuries. However, by itself, this does not give you any special employment rights. It just entitles you to money.

Before you get excited about suing for defamation, please be aware that this is one of the most difficult lawsuits to win -- and you cannot get your attorney's fees and costs of suit reimbursed. So, unless your damages are very large, the litigation costs may overwhelm any recovery, and you may end up winning the case and losing money in the process.

Setting the defamation action aside, you may be able to make a claim that the employer/owner of the business was actually your business partner, because you were paid far less than fair market value for your services, under the expectation that you would be compensated as a partner. This is also a difficult case to prove -- but, if you are successful, then you would be entitled to a share of the business.

You'll need a good lawyer for this sort of case. For a business ltigation attorney referral, see this link.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. Your positive feedback to the website is appreciated. If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What kind of attorney should I contact regarding being under paid for all of my accomplishments which you say can be construed as a partner in business.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
Business litigation attorney. See this link.
socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions