Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am a registered nurse working in a 12 hour shift full time

I am a registered nurse working in a 12 hour shift full time (72hrs) every 2 weeks. If I got cancelled to work for 4 hrs. Am I still obliged to make myself available for the remaining 8 hrs. But will not be paid for an "On-call" base. We have a union that says on the contract "ONCE AN EMPLOYEE IS CALLED OFF DUTY, THE EMPLOYEE IS NOT OBLIGATED TO MAKE HIM/HERSELF AVAILABLE FOR WORK". This has been going on for "many years".
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, you could be required to available to work for the remaining 8 hours if you are canceled to work for 4 hours, unless, as you've mentioned, this violates the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

You can file a grievance with your union for being required to be 'on call' after being called off work.