How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my employer demote me based on false accusations from

Customer Question

Can my employer demote me based on false accusations from an internal investigation? My position was a none union position.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  arcadierm replied 5 years ago.

Board Certified Attorney : Yes, employer can chose to demote you or terminate you based on an internal investigation even if the investigation was wrong. Its because California, like all other States, is an employment at will State.
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
While I agree with my college, he failed to mention that you would have a cause of action for defamation against the person who made the false accusations against you in the internal investigation.

Related California Employment Law Questions