California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

I recorded all conversations. 10/7/2011, my company president

Customer Question
I recorded all conversations. 10/7/2011, my...
I recorded all conversations.
10/7/2011, my company president said; I am your mentor, so I can punch your face. 10/7/2011, President forced me to buy company electrical equipment by my own money. 1/28/12, I asked some business question to President, and he irritated and yelling me, and said “I will fire you”. I said; [You abusing me too much, what is human rights ? do you want me to die or kill me and my son ? ] I couldn't believe that I felt while I working in company. 1/31/12, other co-worker made miss take, and smashing the desk said [ I will fire them! and I will take out your position.] I didn't related department which had problem. 1/31/12, seeks rescue to manager about President power harassment, manager said [President has problem with head quarter, so he has hysterical mental irritation and attacking you. 2/1/1, President take out my position. He said, he can't believe that I believe Buddhist religion. 3/23/12 President called me to take my position again and transfer to other department, which job was never experienced. 4/13/12 co-worker distributed email to all employees, that I did intentionally destroy company information. After I proofed I never touch. 4/20/12, HR manager requested lunch for own birth day party. Everyone went except me and other 5 to 7 employee (competitor). 4/20/12, HR manager made other birthday party with all employees, except me and other 5 competitor. 4/27/12, supervisor made eye contact with other managers and said [ do not stop abusing her (me), then she will quit after few month later. ] after, manager came immediately and said [ be careful, she will suit you!] Supervisor said [ this is just a little, it can’t compare with President what he done to her. It is fun!] Since February, I took sleeping pill because I can’t sleep by stress. My doctor recommended to report to police for this harassment and I went to police department.
I am former federal employee, currently working a company in CA., which company has a head quarter in Japan. I feel amazing harassment by gender, back ground, religion, and discrimination of nationality. ( I am Korean Japanese), additionally, manager and supervisor are calling employee by nationality, for example, [ a stupid middle east man, this Korean, I hope this Indian die...etc..] they discuss with Japanese language so only speak Japanese employee knew. And Manager and supervisor are targeting one by one to abuse and harassing employee for own frustration out until they quite own selves. Employee under managers are always afraid for loosing job, and need to accumulate own point for job review, so most important and create happiness and joy for managers are proof to abuse employee who is powerful or capable than managers or manager didn't like emotionally. These action and business motto created by President and managers since 2008. Everyone quit the company and longest worker under manager are 3 years. Others are less than a year. Manager and President are said, our head quarter has 6000 employee, and we are major company in Japan, therefore we will never worry about close down U.S. Company, because Head quarter will support financially. 5/7/12, I am sure; Managers harassment will increase day by day. Head of core people are discussing with biggest smile that how they would like to scare the employee as usual.
All of my friends, associates, former co-workers are surprised my current working company. I would like to report about this company’s unlawful action and harassment to Media.
How could I close down this company from United State or reform under the law of justice?
And, I would like to improve protection of the employment law in California.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/6/2012
California Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 5 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

CA law prohibits harassment and discrimination in the workplace and you do have a legal remedy.

Workplace harassment/discrimination is any unwelcome or unwanted conduct that denigrates or shows hostility or an aversion toward another person on the basis of any characteristic protected by law, which includes an individual's race, color, gender, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other personal characteristic protected by law. A conduct is considered unwelcome if the employee did not solicit, instigate or provoke it, and the employee regards XXXXX XXXXX as undesirable or offensive.

In CA you have two possible avenues of approach to dealing with discrimination. If your goal is to ultimately sue in Federal Court, then you will file a complaint with the EEOC, and if you want to be in the CA Superior Court---local to your county---then you will file with the DFEH and, if you want to, with the EEOC as well.

You may a formal complaint with the CA Department of Fair Employment and Housing alleging discrimination based on your race and/or national origin.

To do this you must first make an appointment with the Department to be interviewed, either over the phone or at a local DFEH office. You may call the DFEH at(NNN) NNN-NNNN or apply on line by using the Department’s "Online Appointment System." The system will guide you through questions to determine whether an appointment is right for you.

Alternatively, you may file a complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). If your company has 15 or more employees, they are prohibited from discriminating against you. To file a complaint with the EEOC, contact the nearest Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office. To be automatically connected with the nearest office, call(NNN) NNN-NNNN EEOC website: www.eeoc.gov

Federal law specifically prohibits discrimination, based upon the Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Age, Sex and Disability of an individual, with regard to hiring, promotion and firing.

After you file the complaint, your employer will be prohibited from any retaliatory action against you. The EEOC will investigate your claim, and 180 days after the filing of the complaint you may ask for a "right to sue letter". The EEOC will issue you the letter which gives you the right to institute a private civil action against your employer and seek monetary damages.

I hope you found my answer informative.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Doug
LawTalk, Attorney
LawTalk, Attorney