How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37662
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a termination check for 393.92 for a period ending

This answer was rated:

I received a termination check for 393.92 for a period ending 3-21-12. It says it is for " unclaimed wages". What is this? It came with a separate check for my final days of pay( PF Chang's Restaurant) Thanks. Sean.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

Under CA law, there is no specific legal significance given to the term unclaimed wages---at least which would have anything to do with a payment to an employee.

CA does have a law which requires employers to pay to the state all employee wages which have not been claimed after a year by the employee.

It is possible that the employer held back wages for you---perhaps from a tip pool or even through an accounting error and payroll simply failed to pay you. When you left the employment and they were closing out your payroll record, they located the money owed to you, and simply noted the unclaimed to allow them to differentiate that money from final wages based on work in that pay period for accounting purposes.

Either way, there is no reason that you should not accept the money.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

LawTalk and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions