Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Does an employer have the right to cut an employees hours inorder

Does an employer have the right to cut an employees hours inorder to take the the employees health insurance away from them ?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Yes, unfortunately, as an at-will employee, the employer has the discretion to change an employee's hours at any time for any reason with or without prior notice, including cutting an employee's hours to not pay health insurance.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, which states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

I wish I had better information to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest response to your question.