How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Unemployment insurance in California

This answer was rated:

I filed a unemployment insurance claim with Ca.(EDD) on 4/3/12. On 4/13/12 I received notice via form DE429 that my unemployment insurance award is from funds made in January of 2011 . This is a small amount of $. My intent was to file a claim for funds made in the 1st quarter of 2012, which was a much larger amount. I was confused about the so called base period. As a result what I got and what my intent was were two different things. I tried to call to inform them of the mixup, however it is impossible to get thru by phone as the lines are never open ( I have tried to call hundreds of times with no success) I went online and found I can ask EDD questions on line. I went online and informed EDD that my intent was not to file a claim for funds made in 2011 and that I need to cancel this claim ( this was 4/19/12 ), and I was given a reference number. I recently received a reply from EDD that I can not cancel this claim due to the fact that they funded my EDD debit card as of (4/19/12). I feel as though I responded as quickly as possible to the error, The system at EDD is so backed up, it is essentially not functioning in a proper manner. At this point what do I do. Do I give up and take the small amount of $. I can not refile another claim for a full year if I can't cancel this one. I can not call ( I tried ) I'm looking for work,however until I find something it is crucial I get my present claim canceled so I can re-apply for the greater amount in July if necessary. I totally could not understand the base period and alternate base period which is why the mixup happened. Before I even filed I tried to call EDD to ask questions but could not get thru. What a system !! I went online again to ask if someone can arrange to call. Any suggestions ?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, the based period is the last fifteen months, discounting the most recent 3 months (or the last quarter), so the amount that you earned in 2012 would not be counted in determining your benefit amount.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you