How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last August 2011 I was fired by the company I was working for.

Resolved Question:

Last August 2011 I was fired by the company I was working for. I was denied unemployment benefits and was told so from a letter I received from XXX . The letter also informed me that I could appeal this decision or I would be eligible for benefits once and after I earned $1,500.00 or 5 times what my benefit weekly amount would have been. I attempted to appeal the decision but could not get through to XXX by mail or by phone. I eventually earned the 1500.00 on November 9th2011, working out of a temp agency. I attempted to contact XXX via mail or by phone to let them know that I met the requirement. I wrote them many letters and made several calls but nothing?!? I finally wrote a 4th letter to them and they finally responded and sent me the benefit forms. But here is my question. Even though I was working out of a temp agency ( which is not a permanent job) aren’t I still owed benefits from November 9th when I earned the required amount of $ 1,500.00 up until the day I got a permanent job which was February 27th 2012. Even though I was working I can still receive benefits they would just be adjusted, right. I have a hearing at the California Unemployment insurance Appeals Board this Friday May 4th to discuss this matter. Someone told me that legally they are have to give me something ?!?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Yes, as long as you were making less than what your weekly benefit amount would be, then you would be entitled to back unemployment benefits for the time that you earned enough to qualify for unemployment benefits.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My weekly benefit amount was $297.00 from EDD. I made $ 420.00 (weekly) gross out of the temp agency before tax of course.





Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, you wouldn't be eligible to receive unemployment, since your weekly earnings exceeded what your weekly benefit amount would have been.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes..i did accept your answer...not to mention !!!!!


HELLO !!!!

I never asked for a unlimited account with u guys !!! the last thing i did was accept an answer for a employemnt questions a about 2 weeks ago. NO i am being charged for a unlimited account for 30.00 !!!! u just charged my account and caused my checking account to be overdrawn!!! Not Good !!! My bank hit me with a overdrawn fee of 29.00 !!! i would appreciate it if you put the 30.00 dollars back into my account along with the 29.00 O/D fee u caused !!!! I like using your service but this is not cool...than you very much !!!!!