Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I have epilepsy. earlier last month i experienced a grand

Customer Question

i have epilepsy. earlier last month i experienced a grand mal seizure. i work at a school and the principal sent an email to all my co-workers and several board members stating i'd had a "major seizure." while he didn't say i was epileptic, was it a violation of my ada rights to disclose that i'd had a seizure
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

No, unfortunately, unless your manager is discriminating you on the basis of your epilepsy, emailing your co-workers to inform them that you had a seizure wouldn't constitute a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please refer to the link. He disclosed personal medical informaion. per this document it IS a violation.

http://www.acdl.com/New%20Logo%20Guides/E7%20New%20Logo.pdf

Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
If you believe that the disclosure did constitute a violation of the confidentiality provisions of the ADA, you can file a complaint with the EEOC against your employer using the instructions available online here:

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

The EEOC will investigate your complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a right to sue letter so you can pursue your claim against your meployer through a private attorney.