How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been a tanker pilot for the last 10 years employed by a Texas firm as a contract ta

Resolved Question:

I have been a tanker pilot for the last 10 years employed by a Texas firm as a contract tanker pilot for Cal Fire (in California).
I was in training last week where one instructor (who does not want "women" and has said so, in the air did not re-instate my tanker card. I am a 67 year old woman (in perfect health who used to be a captain for United Express). There are several men pilots who are OLDER than me and do not fly as well as me and have made mistakes in the past and have never been disciplined. I made a tiny mistake with a gauge last year and was furloughed for that and there was NO SAFETY issue. This man has tormented me for months and siding with another pilot that has wanted my base for years. I feel I have been discriminated againt because I am a woman, period! What are my options? I am assuming this is CONFIDENTIAL?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, JustAnswer is a public site, but I can request that your question be unpublished after we finish.

You can file a complaint with the Department of Fair Emloyment and Housing for discrimination based on gender in violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act.

You can file a complaing using the instructions available online here:

The Department of Fair Employment and Housing will investigate the complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a right to sue letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I appreciate your answer but already knew I could get a private attorney to fight this, however, I'd be happy to pay the $53 if you had any knowledge of how my chances were with this - this is my life we're talking about and wanted to fly at least another season or two.


The union I belong is very weak.

Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
If you have evidence that you've been treated differently on the basis of your gender (which it seems that you do from your fact pattern, as you were disciplined and treated differently than male employees) you would have a pretty good chance of getting your employer to agree to a settlement.

However, since you belong to a union, I would also suggest that you file a grievance with the union for your employer's actions, even though the union is weak, it would help to substantiate your case by filing a grievance based on your employer's actions.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you