Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I WAS DISABLED AUG.1981 & TOOK A WITHDRAWL CARD OUT WITH THE

Customer Question

I WAS DISABLED AUG.1981 & TOOK A WITHDRAWL CARD OUT WITH THE TEAMSRERS UNION WHICH AT THE TIME HAD NINE YEARS VESTED - ONE YEAR SHORT OF THE AMOUNT NEEDED TO BE FULLY VESTED. NEVER WORKED AGAIN & JUST FOUND OUT RENSENTLY THAT BECAUSE OF MY DISABILTY AM FULLY VESTED.RECIEVED SS DISABILITY UNTIL I WAS SIXTY FIVE & THAN ROLLED OVER REGULAR SS. MY QUESTION IS! DOES TEAMSTERS OWE ME FOR BACK PAY FOR ALL THE YEARS I WAS DISABLED?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

No, unfortunately, your pension being fully vested doesn't mean that you are owed back pay for all the years that you were disabled, but that you can start drawing on the pension now that has been vested.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IM NOT FULLY UNDERSTANDING - ARE YOU SAYING EVEN EVEN THOUGH IM OVER SEVENTY & THERE IS A FIVE YEAR PERIOD DISABILTY THAN ROLLED INTO REG.SS THAT THERE NOT LIABEL FOR THAT TOO??
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
They would be liable for that, however, they wouldn't be liable for back wages prior to the time that your pension was vested.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
JOSEPH I UNDERSTAND A LITTLE BETTER - HOWEVER WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO CALL ME OM MY HOME PHONE BECAUSE I HAVE A DOCUMENT HEAR THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU #760-6695040 & I WOULD CONCIDER HIRING YOU AFTER YOU HEAR WHAT I HAVE TO SAY.IM HOME ALL ALL TODAY --- MR. RICHARD A. DEPASQUALE
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
No, unfortunately, JustAnswer experts aren't allowed to contact customers outside of the site.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YOU SAID THAT THAY WOULD NOT OWE PRIOR TO VESTING BUT DOCUMENTS THAY SENT ME SAY'S IM FULLY VESTED AS OF 12/31/85 - MY QUESTION? DO THAY NOT OWE ME FOR TWENTY SIX PLUS YEARS??
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Yes, they should owe you pension payments from the time that you were vested, as long as you were authorized to collect on the pension at that time due to your disability.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IM GONNA NEED LEGAL HELP & ALSO HELP TO FILL OUT ALL THIS PAPER WORK & UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT IM DOING & SO AS TO NOT MAKE A MISTAKE - WHAT TO DO & WHERE TO GO BECAUSE THIS IS ALL ABOVE ME & MY ABILITY??
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
I would suggest that you consult with a local employment law attorney for assistance in filling out the paperwork and understanding your pension.

You can find an attorney online here:

http://www.lawyers.com/Labor-And-Employment/California/browse-law-firms-by-city.html
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU JOSEPH FOR ALL YOUR HELP - RICHARD
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Thank you; best of luck!

Please remember to accept my answer.

Thanks again!