How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer is moving to Marina Del Rey (currently located

Customer Question

My employer is moving to Marina Del Rey (currently located in Glendale, CA) in June 2012. I am a student and go to school at nights. I cant do the move with him based on the fact that I cannot make that schedule work. I will never be able to leave Marina Del Dey at 5pm, and make it to class by 6:30 (located in Chatsworth, CA). I have invested too much time in advancing my education, and I cannot drop out with 3 years (out of 4) completed. How likely would I be to collect UI benefits if I file with EDD? Do I need to build a case from now? Do I do anything now? Or just wait until he actually moves, and the day he is actually located in Marina Del Rey, I just dont show up to work and file UI? I want to know how the process works. I have never done it before. I want to know if I would be entitled or not.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

You may be able to obtain unemployment benefits through EDD if you voluntarily quit your job.

In order to receive unemployment benefits through EDD you will need to be able to demonstrate that you had good cause for leaving your employment.

Normally, this would mean that there was something about the nature of the job that would make a reasonable person in the same position who wanted to stay employed to leave employment.

You can read more about it online here:

You don't have to notify your employer in advance of your termination, but I would recommend that you inform your employer rather than just not showing up.

When you file for unemployment benefits, your employer will be given the option to contest the claim, which the employer will likely do, and you will have to prove that you had good cause for leaving your employment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How soon do I give him notice that I wont be able to travel to Marina Del Rey? He told us 3 months ago (in Dec 11) he will "not dare to move because if he does he knows he will lose us valueable workers" and now, March 2012, 3 months left for our lease in Glendale to expire, he says, "im moving to culver city or marina del rey." Not enough time for me to find a new job. I have applied everywhere. My school wont allow me to do a program change so I cant even change my days/hours in school.


Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
You don't need to give him any prior notice prior to leaving, but it's customary to give your employer at least two weeks notice prior to leaving employment.

If you want to secure a good recommendation from your prior employer, I would suggest that you give at least two weeks notice prior to leaving employment.