How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have work for Avon Products I.N.C. for thirdteen years. Due

Resolved Question:

I have work for Avon Products I.N.C. for thirdteen years. Due to a new re-allignment of areas covered, I now have to travel long distances in heavy traffic. I am being treated for anxiety and high blood pressure but the supervisor is very demanding and will not allow any accomodations. I have advised my supervisor that the new travel demands is jepordizing my health and endangering other people on the road. Due to my eye stigmatisim, I have trouble driving at night.I used to cover an area that was closed to my house and performed at the highest level. Avon has changed all that. I am anticipating that Avon will terminate my employment. Most of the travel demands made by my supervisor are not necessary for the performance of my job. If I get terminated, would I have any recourse or should Avon take into consideration my medical [email protected]
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Whether you would have any recourse against the employer would typically depend on whether you fit the definition of a disabled employee under the ADA.

Generally, you must have a condition that limits one or more major life activities in order for this federal statute to protect you.

Here is a link that provides more information on this:

If you are disabled under the statute, then you would normally be entitled to a reasonable accommodation by the employer to permit you to perform the tasks of your job, unless it is an undue hardship to the employer. This accommodation could be permitting you to make contacts without driving at night or to limit your driving, depending on the circumstances and your physician's recommendations.

If the employer wrongfully denies your request for an accommodation, then you would typically have grounds to seek legal recourse against the employer by filing a complaint with the EEOC or state Fair Employment and Housing Commission.

If you do wish to pursue your legal rights, it would be best to consult further and retain a local employment law attorney.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you