How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am retired and have a house in arizona. my wife lives and

Customer Question

i am retired and have a house in arizona. my wife lives and works in california. can she quit her job and collect unemployment if she moves to arizona to be with me?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

If your spouse exhausts other options, such as requesting a transfer from the employer to an office in AZ, or requests to work from home if feasible, she would normally be eligible for benefits if she quits to live with her spouse in another state, assuming the commute distance is not reasonable.

Here is a link that sets out examples of cases that are declined and approved by the commission:

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response. The commute distance would be 7 hours each way which of course is not reasonable. Her company does not have an Arizona office so a transfer is not possible. Her job duties require her to be in the office so that is not possible either. Does she need to have a request for transfer and work from home denial in writing from her employer? Also, does she apply for unemployment compensation from Arizona or California?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

She should normally request an accommodation from her employer that is denied in order to have the best chance for being approved for benefits.

She would apply in the state where she has been working (CA).

All the best to you both!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by If you do not press ACCEPT, the website retains your payment and I receive nothing. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Related California Employment Law Questions